Dubai International Airport Car Rentals
The main international airport in Dubai -and the busiest one worldwide in terms of international passenger traffic- shelters plenty of car rental agencies, offering premium services to travelers wishing to discover Dubai on their own rhythm. Dominant global car rental companies, as well as local providers, operate at the three DXB terminals, whereas many other companies provide similar services without having an official desk inside the airport premises.
So, should you or should you not rent a car at Dubai Airport? Dubai airport car rentals offer many advantages, especially to passengers planning on visiting Dubai’s nearby areas. Indeed, with a car rental, you can make your schedule exactly the way you like, without depending on the public transport timetables or trying to find a taxi when the temperature outside is really high. Moreover, when driving your own car, you get directly to your destination without having to switch between subway or bus lines. On the other hand, Dubai subway and buses have baggage limits, while airport taxis can store as much luggage as fits in the vehicle’s trunk. If you are traveling with heavy luggage, you will certainly appreciate a spacious car rental. Thus, you can choose the ideal car type for you and your needs and travel throughout your Dubai journey in comfort. As far as exploring Dubai’s surroundings is concerned, nothing can beat the convenience of Dubai airport car rentals. Rental cars allow you to reach your destination whenever you feel like it, stay there for as long as you want, and discover hidden gems of the area, hardly reachable otherwise.
Car Rental Companies in Dubai Airport
Car rental offices are to be found at the Arrivals areas of the three DXB terminals. Hence, whether you are landing at terminals 1, 2, or Emirates terminal 3 of Dubai Airport, you will find international car rental agencies and local providers as soon as you enter the terminals’ arrivals halls. Explicitly, the following car rental companies are present at DXB Airport:
- Al Wefaq (Τ1-Τ2)
- Autostrad (T1)
- Avis (T1-T2-T3)
- Budget (T1-T3)
- Dollar Rent-a-Car (T1-T2-T3)
- Enterprise Rent a Car (T3)
- Europcar (T1-T3)
- Fast (T1)
- Hertz (Τ1-Τ2-Τ3)
- National (T1-T2-T3)
- Sixt (T1-T2-T3)
- Thrifty (T1-T2-T3)
- Yelo (T1-T2)
Handy Tips to Secure a Cheap Car Rental in Dubai Airport
- When it comes to car renting at Dubai Airport, time is money. Thus, the sooner you book your vehicle, the more reasonable prices you will find. What’s more, you will come across a wider variety of available vehicle types.
- If this is an option, choose the fuel-to-fuel policy. In general, refilling the car yourself is cheaper than the fuel fees charged by the car rental company.
- You should check the company’s terms and conditions carefully and agree on the drop-off time so that you won’t be charged for an extra day.
- Before picking up your car rental at Dubai Airport, check it out for potential damages. It would be useful to take some pics as well.
- You should always settle on full insurance coverage. If you want to save money on your car rental, you should check if your credit card provides any type of car rental coverage.
- If you want to add extras to your car (additional driver, baby seats, GPS, etc.), you should expect an extra fee.
- It is advisable to choose your car type wisely, depending on your needs, the number of travelers, etc. Luckily, all the car types are available in DXB Airport, and all vehicles are air-conditioned.
- To rent a car at Dubai Airport, you have to hand over your passport, driver’s license, visa, reservation voucher, and credit card in your name.
- Please check if an International Driver’s Permit is required as well.*
- The minimum age to rent a car in Dubai is 21 years, while some car types have higher age limits (25). Moreover, the driver’s license must have been issued at least one year before the rental date.
- Locals usually drive fast and don’t keep a distance between cars. Thus, you should always drive carefully, respecting traffic laws.
- You should, at all times, wear your seatbelt. In fact, if any of the passengers don’t wear seatbelts, the driver is considered responsible.
- Dubai has adopted a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to drinking and driving.
- The use of mobile phones is strictly forbidden while driving.
- Dubai roads are generally large, with many lines.
- You should pay attention to goats and camels passing by. They may stray onto the road out of a sudden, while it is customary for drivers to give priority to camels!
*An IDP is not required if the driver’s license was issued in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Japan, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands (Holland), New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, South Africa, South Korea, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom(UK), United States of America, or in the Gulf Cooperation Council Countries. Nevertheless, a simple translated copy might be necessary in some cases.
Is renting a car in Dubai worth it?
Renting a modern and air-conditioned car at Dubai Airport is a value-for-money and comfortable option for your transfers around Dubai. Furthermore, if you plan on exploring the nearby areas, nothing would be more convenient than a Dubai airport car rental.
Can you rent a car at 19 in Dubai?
Although the legal age for driving in Dubai is 18, you can’t rent a car unless you are 21 years old and have had your driver’s license for at least one year. In fact, some car rental companies have higher age limits for their luxurious car types.